VIRGINIA AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY'S
P. O. Box 736
Located in beautiful Olcott Park, the museum complex consists of the former park superintendent's residence, a Finnish log house and a 1930s tourist cabin. Permanent exhibits depict logging and lumbering industries, Virginia's fires of 1893 and 1900, area shirt factories and Olcott Park's Master Gardener Gunnar Peterson.
Currently the museum is showing the exhibit“The Impact of Women on the Iron Range.” Area women featured are: Lora Lee Curtiss, teacher and author; Dr. Andrea Hall, Virginia’s first female doctor, delivered 3,000 babies, only female lumber camp doctor in nation; Louise Grams, radio personality, Navy veteran; Martha Squillace, buried alive in earthquake, mother of 13; Carolyn Gentilini, Virginia’s first female mayor; Estella Lenci, opera singer; Alice Nettell, social worker, Housing & Redevelopment Authority employee; Mary Anderson, mayor of Kinney for 29 years; led Kinne to secede from United State so Kinney could get foreign aid to improve water system; Esther Goodman, musician, public servant; Betty Borg, World War One nurse; Dorothy Petroskey, social worker, public library employee; Pat Lenci, Girl Scout Volunteer, played organ at 900 funerals; Erveen Serra, taught dance for 60 years; Barbara Baldrica, East Range Choral Society Director, Northern Lights Music Festival Board President; Carolyn Harrington, dressed dolls in handmade traditional ethnic clothing; Liz Prebich, first woman County Commissioner; Veda Zuponcic, brought the Northern Lights Music Festival to our area; Veda Ponikvar, WW II Veteran, owned, operated Chishom newspaper; Francine York, movie star; Marguerite Grams, Red Cross employee; Linda Tyssen, journalist; Marlene Pospeck, Hoyt Lakes longtime mayor; and Marguerite Maki, Virginia’s first city councilor.
A tour of the Heritage Museum is one of the many great things to do in Virginia, MN.
THE MUSEUM WILL BE CLOSED FROM APRIL 21ST THROUGH MAY 9TH.
WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE.
IF NECCESSARY, YOU MAY CALL JEANNE AT 741-8494 OR HARRY AT 741-6613.
The museum is open from 11:00 - 4:00 on the following days:
Admission to the museum is by donation. Tours are given throughout the day. The facility is handicapped accessible. Arrangements may be made for groups or classes.
Friends of B'nai Abraham have made the former synagogue into a museum and cultural center. Virginia Area Historical Society is working in partnership with them. The building is located at the corner of 4th Avenue and 5th Street South in Virginia. During the summer the center is open on Wednesdays and Fridays from 1:00 until 3:00 or at other times by appointment. In the fall, winter and spring it's open by appointment only. Please call 218-741-1136 to make arrangements. In addition to historical displays, visitors will enjoy the builidng itself which has been beautifully restored.
Main Building ·
Log House ·
Tourist Cabin ·
Area Attractions ·
Preserving our history - Our Gift for tomorrow